SEO is notorious for spreading misinformation, misunderstandings, and misconceptions. This is due, in part, to Google’s decision to remain somewhat of a black box in order to limit SERP gaming. These SEO myths frequently prevent hardworking content marketers, SEO Consultant, and bloggers from increasing search traffic and website rankings.
To help dispel these myths, SEO Training is highly recommended or engage with a trusted digital marketing agency. But for now, here is a list of common misconceptions about Google and SEO, as well as why they are incorrect.
Common Misunderstandings about Google and SEO
1. SEO is a one-time project
Many people mistakenly believe that they simply need to work on their SEO once and that’s it. In actuality, SEO is a continuous endeavour that ought to be a regular component of your overall marketing plan.
Your SEO efforts must also be periodically evaluated to ensure that your site is consistently ranked in order to prevent falling behind. Additionally, it’s crucial to keep up with any adjustments to search engine algorithms, technological advancements, and what your rivals are doing.
2. Repeating Keywords Helps Rankings
This SEO myth just won’t go away, it seems. The frequency with which a keyword occurs on a web page can serve as a significant indicator of how relevant your site is to a particular search query. However, stuffing your web pages too redundantly with the same keyword terms doesn’t provide much value.
- It may interfere with the user experience
- The crawlers of search engines perceive it as spam.
- It may lead to sanctions
Continue to conduct keyword research, but pay more attention to the general goal of your article than to the precise placement of each term.
3. Rankings are absolute
No. Google (and perhaps Bing and Yahoo! as well) now uses personalized search: based on your past searches, they change the results pages and move the websites they believe you’ll want to the front of the list.
By the way, it is possible even if your Google account is not open. Additionally, search engines modify their rankings in accordance with your location.
Rankings are therefore undoubtedly not absolute. Instead of stressing excessively about rankings, you should spend more time monitoring your incoming search traffic.
4. It doesn’t work
It does. There are many businesses out there employing SEO to produce tons of qualified leads and organic traffic. Google is making significant investments in free SEO tools (which are all gathered in one location at the recently created Google Search Central) and has even begun to publish SEO case studies that highlight how businesses have utilized SEO to boost sales.
Additionally, it devotes a lot of work to producing insights and guides for the YouTube community (in multiple languages).
5. Mobile and Desktop are the same
The mobile-resized version of your website and the desktop version frequently change if your website is responsive. When the website resizes, you could not notice the content changes (such as the disappearance of headers or “Read more” sections or the alteration in the number of internal links).
Similarly, if you’re hosting quick and light accelerated mobile pages (AMP) alongside your primary website, ensure sure they include the same content and are properly canonicalized (although Google effectively dropped AMP when the page experience update went live and there are no SEO benefits from using it).
6. SEO is a level playing field
On the other hand, buying a sizable following, growing into a major brand, and then crushing your competition into good work fantastically. Aaron Wall has a great analysis of this. I’m afraid life isn’t fair.
Google misses some links, gives some people and businesses too much power, completely destroys some businesses, and then undoes 90% of the damage while leaving the other 10% to rot. Not that SEO is useless, mind you. Not at all. However, I do advise using a variety of internet marketing techniques and treating anything the search engines (and anyone else, including myself) say with scepticism.
7. Social Media Is a Ranking Factor
That depends. Social networking websites like Facebook and Twitter have no direct impact on rankings in Google’s eyes. Links that you include in posts or on your social media pages won’t be counted as backlinks.
Hopefully, we were able to dispel some of the most widely held misconceptions about SEO for you. These are the ones that are more likely to hinder your SEO efforts and are more likely to occur frequently.
It’s reasonable to think that the solution is straightforward, as it is with pretty much every myth.
If you like this article, you may want to read this article about SEO Consultant Tips to Maximize Holiday Search Traffic Using Seasonal Keywords.